Currently, you are NOT required to report in person at Michigan Works! to register for work. Filing can be done online by selecting the button below or by calling 1-866-500-0017.
Telephone Inquiries: 1-866-500-0017 / If you have any questions, concerns, or issues in regards to your unemployment claim, you need to contact the UIA. The phone number is available to speak with a representative weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
MARVIN: 1-866-638-3993 / MARVIN is the UIA’s toll-free automated telephone system you call every other week to claim unemployment benefits.
What You Should Know When Claiming Benefits
- Accurately Report the Reason You Are Unemployed.
- Accurately report your reason for separation from your job when you initially file your claim for benefits.
- Report Any Wages You Are Earning.
- You must report your gross wages for each week you work. Report all earnings, including part-time or temporary work.
- Be Available for Work.
- In order to collect benefits, you must continually report that you are able, available and willing to accept suitable work.
- Actively Search for Work.
- A person claiming unemployment benefits for any week of unemployment is required to conduct a systematic and sustained work search for each week they claim unemployment benefits. You must report your record of work search at least once a month.
- Do Not Commit Fraud.
- Follow the rules to preventing yourself from committing fraud. Failure to follow legal requirements has serious consequences UI Benefit Fraud FAQ.
- Review the Handbook For Unemployed Workers.
- Know Your Responsibilities and Ask for Help.
- If you have questions, you can submit an online inquiry about your claim through MiWAM. You can also call the Agency’s toll-free customer service telephone number at 1-(866)-500-0017 or please visit your Unemployment Insurance Local Office.
- Don’t Delay – As soon As You Begin Working Again, Report Your Return to Work.
- As soon as you begin working, notify UIA. Avoid committing fraud; do not wait until you receive your first paycheck.