Currently, you are NOT required to report in person at Michigan Works! to register for work. Filing can be done online by selecting the button below or by calling 1-866-500-0017.
Beginning May 30, claimants receiving unemployment benefits will be required to actively seek work and report at least one work search activity for each week they claim benefits. You must report your work search activity when you certify. Your benefits will not be paid until your work search activities have been reported. The first time you are required to include the details of your work search activity is when you certify for the week ending June 5, 2021. Click the links below for more information.
Telephone Inquiries: 1-866-500-0017 / If you have any questions, concerns, or issues in regards to your unemployment claim, you need to contact the UIA. The phone number is available to speak with a representative weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
MARVIN: 1-866-638-3993 / MARVIN is the UIA’s toll-free automated telephone system you call every other week to claim unemployment benefits.
What You Should Know When Claiming Benefits
- Accurately Report the Reason You Are Unemployed.
- Accurately report you reason for separation from your job when you initially file your claim for benefits.
- Report Any Wages You Are Earning.
- You must report you gross wages for each week you work. Report all earnings, including part-time or temporary work.
- Be Available for Work.
- In order to collect benefits, you must continually report that you are able, available and willing to accept suitable work.
- Actively Search for Work.
- A person claiming unemployment benefits for any week of unemployment is required to conduct a systematic and sustained work search for each week they claim unemployment benefits. You must report your record of work search at least once a month.
- Register for Work at Michigan Works! Association (MWA).
- If you do not have a definite return to work date from your last employer that is 120 days from your last date work, then you must register for work with Michigan Works! Association. You must report in person to an MWA Service Center within 10 calendar days of the mail date on your Form UIA 1575C, Monetary Determination.
- Do Not Commit Fraud.
- Follow the rules to preventing yourself from committing fraud. Failure to follow legal requirements has serious consequences UI Benefit Fraud FAQ.
- Review the Handbook For Unemployed Workers.
- Know Your Responsibilities and Ask for Help.
- If you have questions, you can submit an online inquiry about your claim through MiWAM. You can also call the Agency’s toll-free customer service telephone number at 1-(866)-500-0017 or please visit your Unemployment Insurance Local Office.
- Don’t Delay – As soon As You Begin Working Again, Report Your Return to Work.
- As soon as you begin working, notify UIA. Avoid committing fraud; do not wait until you receive your first paycheck.